lila's latest loves | spring 2022

Thursday, May 19, 2022

Ahem!

*attempts to sneak into the room as quietly and covertly as possible*

*immediately fails at previously mentioned attempt by way of accidentally bumping into a desk, knocking over a chair, and bonking head on the whiteboard*

*awkwardly waves at silent, staring masses of people in front of self before hurrying up to the lectern*

So, hi, guyyyyyyyyys! 👋

I've been gone for...a while...and, honestly, even that feels life an understatement! Tbh 2021 was a shitshow of a year and my physical and mental health both took a nosedive and crash landed in the sewer. Of course, just in time, my overdramatic, bitchy archnemesis, aka Mental Health Meltdown, made an unfortunate and most unwelcome reappearance right around the holidays, meaning even the last few days of 2021 were spent...in a "less than fun" manner, to put it lightly...

But have no fear, I'm still here, friends! Fortunately right at the beginning of 2022 I was able to start the process of getting what I need in regards to both my physical and mental health and I'm steady on the mend now! (Thank GOD for the wonders of "Better Living Through Chemistry™," as my mom calls what is otherwise known as "perscribed medications" lol!)

Fortunately, during my aforementioned prolongued hiatus from hell I did manage to find some new favorites to help me make it through, so I figured I'd share them with y'all!

only murders in the building

Have you seen this show? Y'all, it's absolutely to die for! 😉 Only Murders in the Building is a murder mystery dramedy about three true crime obsessed neighbors and unlikely friends who team up to start a true crime podcast about solving what they believe was a murder that occurred in their NYC apartment building. And it's FABULOUS! I've always been a fan of Sherlock Holmes-ish murder mysteries, so it's like this show was tailor made for me! Plus, the ddition of comedic elements makes it extra fun. I am begging y'all to give this show a try if you have yet to see it!

dana salah

I'm part Lebanese, so I grew up listening to Arabic music, and my love of it has stayed with me throughout my life. So, naturally, when I discovered Dana Salah via TikTok I became obsessed! In particular, her song "Weino" always gets me ready to hop on the dance floor.

noble blood

If you're looking for some weird and wacky real life historical inspiration for your latest creative writing project, then Noble Blood is for you, my friend! Dedicated to digging into the wonderfully strange stories of history's most notorious nobles, this podcast is in turns informative and hilarious.

the wheel of time

One thing I'm sure you'll soon find out about me is that I love a good fantasy story, whether it's a book series, movie, show, or podcast! And The Wheel of Time series adaptation DEFINITELY falls into the category of "a good fantasy story!" Granted, I have yet to read the beloved source material, but I've fallen head-over-heels for the show!

the atlas six by olivie blake

The Alexandrian Society is a secret society of magical academicians, the best in the world. Their members are caretakers of lost knowledge from the greatest civilizations of antiquity. And those who earn a place among their number will secure a life of wealth, power, and prestige beyond their wildest dreams. Each decade, the world’s six most uniquely talented magicians are selected for initiation – and here are the chosen few...

- Libby Rhodes and Nicolás Ferrer de Varona: inseparable enemies, cosmologists who can control matter with their minds.
- Reina Mori: a naturalist who can speak the language of life itself.
- Parisa Kamali: a mind reader whose powers of seduction are unmatched.
- Tristan Caine: the son of a crime kingpin who can see the secrets of the universe.
- Callum Nova: an insanely rich pretty boy who could bring about the end of the world. He need only ask.

When the candidates are recruited by the mysterious Atlas Blakely, they are told they must spend one year together to qualify for initiation. During this time, they will be permitted access to the Society’s archives and judged on their contributions to arcane areas of knowledge. Five, they are told, will be initiated. One will be eliminated. If they can prove themselves to be the best, they will survive. Most of them.

Okay, technically I'm still reading this book, but I'm over halfway (67% to be exact) through it and asdfghjkl I love it so freaking much!!! If you somehow haven't hear of The Atlas Six, it's a book about a group of twenty-somethings with magical powers who are competeing to join a powerful secret society. And aaaah it's the best! I love the characters, and the plot is pretty intriguing. You absolutely have the check it out if you haven't yet!

doja cat

This is quite a surprise to me as I did not start out at all interested in listening to Doja Cat's music. Nevertheless, she (and her music) persisted, and slowly but surely grew on me. In addition to being undeniably fun music, I love how the subtle theme of female empowerment runs through a lot of Doja's music. So I admit it: ...I was wrong.

maddie dragsbaek

We all know it's true: dating in your twenties in this modern world absolutely sucks, especially as a woman! That being said, the unique sense of sisterhood you get out of comiserating about this issue with other twenty-something women and dismantling any and all of your internalized misogyny together is like no other! I think that's why I enjoy Maddie Dragsbaek's channel so damn much! Maddie's videos are about all things relationship, sex, dating, and self love and I just can't get enough.

Well, dear friends, that's all I have for you today. I hope you enjoyed this post and maybe found something new to love! Until next time...

Post a Comment