five books by & about mixed race folk that i want to read

Saturday, July 3, 2021

As some of you may be aware, in addition to this blog, I also run a book blog, so it may not come as a shocker that not only do I love reading, but I've also read a lot of books! That being said, I'm surprised to say that after evaluating my reading, I've actually found that I haven't read many books about mixed race characters which are also by mixed race authors.

I'll admit: this discovery was pretty surprising for me. In the past five-ish years, the literary community has slowly started to focus on books about marginalized characters which are by authors who share that very same marginalized identity (these books are frequently categorized as "#OwnVoices" books). Yet despite this, the majority of books about mixed race characters that I've come across haven't been by actual mixed race authors. So, naturally, I went down a research rabbit hole looking for #OwnVoices mixed race books!

The following five books are #OwnVoices books representing mixed race individuals that I've added to my reading list. They are not simply the stereotypical reprsentation of biracial Black/White identity, but follow individuals of diverse multiracial idenities, from Black and Indigenous American to White and Persian, to name a few. So, without any further ado, let's take a look!

Firekeeper's Daughter by Angeline Boulley

My friend Leelynn from the book blog Sometimes Leelynn Reads wrote an absolutely glowing review of Firekeeper's Daughter, in which she talked about her own experience as a mixed race Indigenous American person and how that made the book extra special for her. While Leelynn's review sealed the deal for me, personally, due to the fact that she and I share a mixed race Black American/Cherokee heritage, I've also heard so many positive things about this book from a ton of reviewers, several of whom were also Indigenous American!

Firekeeper's Daughter is a YA thriller written by Indigenous American author Angeline Boulley which focuses a lot on Indigenous American identity, particularly that of Indigenous American young women. The main character, Daunis, is mixed race Indigenous American and lives just off the reservation. Daunis is thrown into the mix of a criminal investigation when she witnesses a murder. She must go undercover in order to find out the truth of what is going on using traditional knowledge and modern science—but will she figure the mystery out in time?





Know My Name by Chanel Miller

The Stanford Sexual Assault Case—which saw Stanford University student Brock Turner tried for a brutal sexual assault, convicted, and sentenced to a mere six months in jail despite undeniable, rock solid evidence of his guilt—managed to both captivate and horrify America—and arguably the world—and provided the impetus for a nation-wide soul search regarding sexism and the criminal justice system which continues up to this day. At the time the young woman and assault victim at the center of the case was known to the world only as "Emily Doe," but in 2019, Chanel Miller stepped forward to reveal that she was "Emily Doe" with the publication of her memoir, Know My Name.

Know My Name tells Miller's story, from the night of her assault to the degrading and humiliating trial to how these events would impact her. I've heard so many incredible reviews of this memoir, particularly reviews from women—and women of color, especially—about just how evocative and impactful Miller's story is. There is no doubt that, although once anonymous, history will know Chanel Miller's name.






Starfish by Akemi Dawn Bowman

Starfish by Akemi Dawn Bowman is a bit of a "backlist" book, having been published back in 2017, and I'm always surprised that I rarely see it mentioned in the bookish community and in general, considering that it is an award winning debut YA novel. Nevertheless, it's a book that's always managed to pique my interest, seeing as it's a story that focuses on the main character's half-Japanese identity and Bowman herself is half-Japanese as well. The few reviews of this book that I have come across, though, have given tit high praise, so I'm looking forward to eventually reading it!

Starfish tells the story of Kiko, a teen girl who's juggling coming to terms with her half-Japanese identity, social anxiety, a narcissistic mom, and a heartbreaking rejection from the art school of her dreams. Sounds tough, right? So it's no wonder that she jumps at the chance to tour West Coast art schools with her good friend. But what ensues transforms from a trip to tour schools into a life-changing journey that will change Kiko for good.






Darius the Great Is Not Okay by Adib Khorram

I've seen this book hailed as a hilarius and heartwarming look at a teen boy's mixed race Persian identity, as well as his identity as a gay boy in the modern age and how that particular identity is viewed cross-culturally. And, frankly, I am so here for this kinda story! I think one of the most interesting and sometimes tricky parts of being mixed race is that if you are marginalized in some other way besides race, you can sometimes be placed at the crux of two cultures who view/treat that other marginalization very differently. It's really fascinating to find a book which will hopefully tackle that concept in a thoughtful way!

Darius the Great Is Not Okay is the story of Darius, a half Persian nerd who is disconnected from his Persian heritage and who is on his first ever trip to visit his family in Iran. It's there that he meets not only his Persian family, but also Sohrab, the sweet boy next door who helps Darius feel like a "real Persian" for the first time ever. But will Darius be able to maintain his connection to his heritage when it's finally time to say goodbye to Sohrab and Iran and go home?




Born A Crime: Stories from A South African Childhood by Trevor Noah

I've always been a big fan of Trevor Noah and I've particularly loved his ability to speak to the nuances of race and racism, both on a national and an international scale, as a man who is not only mixed race, but also a mixed race South African who was "born a crime" during the South African apartheid. He is always able to speak to racial issues with nuanced perspective and blunt humor and I really admire that ability.

Born A Crime: Stories from a South African Childhood is Noah's memoir all about his childhood growing up as a mixed Black South African/White South African child in apartheid-era South Africa, in which interracial marriage was illegal. I've seen so many reviews saying this memoir is humorous, both heartbreaking and heartwarming, and incredibly inciteful. All in all, I can't wait to get my hands on a copy of this book (especially the audiobook, which is narrated by Noah and which I hear is an incredible production in its own right)!





So that's all for today, friends! I hope you enjoyed this post and maybe found a book or two that you might want to pick up. Speaking of books, I've got several that I better get started on finishing! Until next time, dear friends!

Post a Comment